For information on where customers buy a product, market research reports often include information on sales channels or consumer purchasing preferences. Find a report on the relevant category or product, and look within that report for details on sales channels or buying behaviour.
To determine an accurate picture of where consumers purchase a product, information from various sources may need to be combined.
Databases with industry/market information will often include information on where a product is sold, or where consumers purchase a product. Try searching for various keywords - especially if there are a few different words that could describe what you're looking for.
For many consumer products, the Passport GMID database provides a table of channel distribution for a specific market category, including details on online and offline channels, and types of retailers.
1. Start at the Passport GMID homepage
2. Scroll down to find the Country Reports: Datagraphics search tile
3. Click Choose industry
4. Choose an industry. Click Consumer Electronics
5. Next, choose a category. Scroll down and click Mobile Phones
6. Choose the geography of interest. Scroll down and click Canada
7. Click Go
8. Scroll down to the Distribution section. That's it. You're done.
Using Passport GMID, like above, we'll find that 60.7% smart phones are sold through online retailers, and 36.5% are sold through electronic specialist retailers. We may want to focus on one or both of these types of retail outlets. While examining the channel distributions in Passport GMID, also explore the Analysis page for any further insight to your industry.