There are a few sources for information on the number of stores or establishments within a specific industry category. This may be useful in looking at the number of outlets that could sell a product to consumers, or in investigating the number B2B customers.
IBISWorld publishes reports on Canadian and Ontario industries – and these reports include statistics about the number of businesses within an industry category. For example, find information on the number of businesses in the ‘Key Statistics’ section of the report on Consumer Electronics Stores.
The module below includes an example of searching in IBISWorld for information on number of businesses.
1. The first step is to open Seneca Libraries and click Databases A-Z
2. To find the IBISWorld database, click the letter I (for IBISWorld)
3. Click IBISWorld: Canada to sign in to the database
4. Scroll down and click Proceed to IBISWorld: Canada
5. Type search terms into the Search by industry, keyword, company or code search bar
6. Click the report name that appears at the top of the list of suggestions Consumer Electronics Stores in Canada
7. From the Navigation menu, select Key Statistics
8. This page has details on number of establishments and enerprises within this industry in Canada.
Statista has data from many sources, relating to industries, consumers, countries, and many other topics. It often has statistics showing the number of stores, retailers, or outlets. Keyword search to find results – and, try switching up your keywords to find additional information.
The module below includes an example of searching in Statista.
1. The first step is to open Statista and type your search terms into the search box
2. Click Statista Search to find results.
3. Scroll through the results and click the title of any that look relevant.
4. There may be multiple related statistics.
Scroll through the results and click the title of any that look relevant.
5. To download/save a copy, choose a format under Download.
That's it. You're done.
The Canadian Business Counts are counts of active Canadian businesses. They are produced semi-annually, with data released in August and February.
The data tables can be filtered by industry (NAICS) and location, to get a count of businesses within specific criteria.
1. Start at Statistics Canada: Data
2. Scroll down and in the Search title, description, etc. box, search for the keywords: business counts
3. Find Canadian Business Counts, with employees in the results
4. To refine the data, click the Add/Remove data button
5. To refine the table by industry, click the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) tab
6. Search for a keyword, such as Electronics, and then click Filter
7. Select the relevant industry category and unselect any other categories
8. Select the relevant industry category and unselect any other categories. Then, click Apply to view data on the selected industries.
9. Scroll down to view the data.
A business directory lists companies by product or industry and includes location and contact information. Some also provide company size and sales. Use a business directory to build a list of companies meeting specific criteria – for example, businesses within an industry category and geographic area.
View the FAQs below to learn how to create company lists.