What is a Peer Tutor?
A peer tutor supports the academic development of a student by assisting the student in understanding key concepts within a specific subject. Tutors do not provide “answers” but rather assist in the learning process; they provide their subject expertise, academic experience, and encouragement. All tutoring appointments takes place in the Learning Centre or online during scheduled appointment times.
- Build your résumé while gaining valuable work experience
- Increase your own academic skills and self-confidence
- Develop a sense of pride and accomplishment from helping others
- Be a positive role model
- Earn money while being a student ($15.50/hr)
- Apply strategies developed in training and through ongoing feedback, to help students understand concepts they find challenging; provide mentorship and guidance around study skills
- Arrive on time for each tutoring shift and effectively manage timing of appointments
- Keep accurate records of all tutoring appointments
- Abide by the confidentiality, academic integrity and conduct agreements set out by the college.
- Follow the Learning Centre policies and procedures
- Submit payroll timesheets every two weeks
- Be a full time student currently enrolled at Seneca College
- Have a GPA of 3.8 or greater in area of specialization and a minimum overall GPA of 3.5
- Have completed at least two semesters in your program or possess a previous degree/diploma/certificate
- Possess strong communication, interpersonal, and time management skills
- Have respect for confidentiality
- Have an ability and desire to work with students with diverse backgrounds
How to Apply
- You can apply for to become a Peer Tutor through Seneca Works. Look for job id #175959